Friday 4 October 2013

RAINBOW FORMATION



RAINBOW FORMATION






  I got attention towards physics from the chapters dealing with electricity and properties of light.So when I was studying in 1st standard I saw a rainbow for the first time.Before that I have seen rainbow in the picture or in TV.At that age,I was obscure and I asked to my friends how was that formed and my friend said someone must have drawn.Till 8th standard i don't know how it was formed and I was in an anxiety.Now  I know the reason behind the formation of the rainbow?So here is the answer for you.

Dispersion,Total Internal Reflection,Refraction.


The suspended water droplets act as a refractor of light.When the light rays passes through the water droplets which are surrounded by air, the air acts as rarer medium and water droplets act as a denser medium so that refraction takes place at that boundary and bends towards the normal.Each individual droplet of water acts as a tiny prism that both disperses the light and reflects it back to the observer.The light refracts into the droplet and internally reflects and then refracts out of the droplet.
During the second refraction the light passes from denser(water) to rarer(air) medium and it bends away from the normal.Thus rainbow is formed.

 Tomorrow i will answer you the another question and your feedback is most welcomed .

Please send your feedback at
fanaticphysics@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment